Typical card table dimensions are 48 inches (122 cm) in diameter for circular tables, 36 x 36 inches (91 x 91 cm) for square tables, and 44 x 92 inches (111.2 x 233.7 cm) for rectangular tables. Oval tables are typically 48 inches (122 cm) and octagonal tables 42 inches (106.7 cm) for each side.
In this article, I’ll cover typical card table dimensions by shape, how to pick the perfect size of a table, how much space your card table requires, and the right measures of card table cloths. I’ve also included a step-by-step guide on how to DIY a card table.
Most Popular Card Tables and Their Dimensions
There are about ten different types of card tables varied by shape. The average height of these card tables ranges from 28 to 32 inches (71 to 82 cm). This height is sufficient for a regular seat or a wheelchair.
The square table is the most popular card table. Other common types include circular, rectangular, oval, or octagonal shapes, which allow more people to join in on the fun and offer more applications.
Let’s take a closer look at these popular card tables.
Square Card Tables
As the name suggests, a square table is four-sided and holds a maximum of four people.
- Sizes: It spans to about 29 inches (73.6 cm) in height. Naturally, all side dimensions are equal at 36 x 36 inches (91.5 x 91.5 cm) and the largest 38 x 38 inches (96.5 x 96.5 cm).
- Materials: Most square-shaped card tables are foldable and manufactured with metallic stands and high-density polyethylene (durable plastic).
- Weight: By weight, they can support upto 350 pounds (158.7 kgs) and even more than four people if need be.
- Number of players: Square tables are the most common because they offer sufficient playing space for four family members.
I recommend this space-saving folding card table (available on Amazon). It’s a great option since it’s durable, versatile, and easily portable.
Rectangular Card Tables
Although not as common as square tables, rectangular tables also make an excellent choice for card games.
- Sizes: The dimensions of rectangular tables are usually 44 x 92 inches (111.7 x 233.6 cm). The average height of a rectangle card table is 30 inches (76 cm).
- Weight: A rectangular card table can support 500 to 700 lbs (226.7 to 317.5 kgs).
- Materials: Most rectangular card tables are manufactured with ABS/PPSU durable plastic and have steel (metallic) legs.
- Number of Players: Rectangular tables can harbor more people than square tables. They can allow up to eight people, making them perfect for events, such as thanksgiving, dinner parties, or family game nights.
The rectangular table is the largest of sizes and is often used for professional tournaments.
Related Article: How to Choose the Best Home Poker Table for Any Budget.
Circular Card Tables
Round card tables are the popular smart choices for small family games. It creates the sense that everyone is closer together.
- Sizes: A circular table is usually 48 inches (122 cm) in diameter and about 30 inches (76 cm) high.
- Weight: Circular tables can harbor upto 700 lbs (317.5 kgs) comfortably.
- Materials: The high-quality polyvinyl material makes circular card tables durable.
- Number of players: Circular tables are often favored due to their flexibility. They can squeeze one or two more players in addition to the typical four or six players.
Octagonal Card Tables
Recently, octagonal card tables, like my recommend poker table, have grown in popularity since they offer multifunctional use. They’re ideal for smaller spaces and smaller games.
- Size: A standard 42 inches (106.7 cm) sided and 48 inches (122 cm) diameter octagonal card table is commonly used.
- Weight: The weight support range for octagonal tables is 700 to 1000 lbs (317.5 to 453.5 kgs).
- Material: Tough and durable high-grade plastic is used to manufacture these tables.
- Number of People: It can seat 4 to 6 people while some larger versions can accommodate eight people.
Choosing an Ideal Card Table Size
Be sure to choose a card table size that’s ideal for the maximum number of players you plan to host. Circular tables are ideal if you want some flexibility because they can squeeze one or two more players with ease. Typically, the perfect card table size should provide enough elbow room.
The card table size also depends on the space available in your room.
Here’s a summary of the perfect card table size by the number of players:
|No. of Players||Width||Length|
|2||18” (45.7 cm)||30” (76 cm)|
|4||36” (91.5cm)||36” (91.5 cm)|
|6||42” (106.7 cm)||48” (122 cm)|
|8||48” (122 cm)||60” (152 cm)|
How Much Space Is Needed for a Card Table?
The amount of space needed for a card table is about 36 inches (91.5 cm) of clearance around the table in addition to the card table dimensions. This allows for the most comfortable seating. The actual total space required ultimately varies by the size of a card table.
Oval or rectangular card tables fit well in large rooms. For smaller rooms, it’s best to use a round or an octagonal card table.
Tip: When buying any card table, always find out the total dimensions of the table to find out if it would fit your available space and leave ample space for players to sit around. Consider buying foldable chairs for your card-playing buddies to save on space.
What Is the Best Card Table To Buy?
The best card tables to buy are foldable tables since they can be converted to regular tables when not being used for play. Furthermore, an ideal table should be strong enough to support players’ elbows, drinks, and snacks while playing, yet also be lightweight to enhance portability.
To choose the best table, consider these factors:
- Material: There are wood veneered, metallic, plastic topped, and simple designs to match your home décor or style. Normally, the material will often influence the durability of the table.
- Size and shape: Be certain about the exact size and shape that will fit your home. If you have a limited area, consider octagonal or foldable tables.
- Designs: Card tables can be both entertainment and aesthetic pieces, so find a table that complements your interior décor. Some have a casino-grade finish, gray or light brown polish for a luxurious feel. Also, it should snap easily when needed and fold safely without pinching fingers.
- Card table accessories: Some card tables come with a few extra features like poker chips, cup holders, and a tablecloth.
- Cost: Work within your budget. There are numerous price options on card tables, and one will be perfect for you without breaking the bank.
What Size Tablecloth Can You Use on a Card Table?
The ideal size tablecloth to use on a card table is the dimensions of your card tabletop plus 6″ to 8″ (15 to 20 cm) so it drops to cover the sides. Also, be sure to find a tablecloth designed to fit the shape of your table, and seek out a fabric that can protect your table from scratches.
The most common tablecloth shapes are square, circular, oval, and rectangular. They come in standard sizes to fit almost any table shape. They’re also available in a wide variety of colors and patterns to suit various décor styles.
I recommend this table covering. It’s an ideal option for square tables and brings out a casino feel and look.
Additionally, you can always DIY your card table cloth to your liking.
Here is a detailed table that shows the table size and the tablecloth size dimensions you should consider:
|Table Type (& Standard Size)||Table Cloth Size||End Drop|
|Square Table (38” x 38”) (96.5 x 96.5 cm)||54” x 54” (137.2 x 137.2 cm)||8”/12” (20.3cm/30.5cm)|
|Rectangular Table (44” x 92”) (11.8 x 233.7 cm)||60” x 120” (152.5 x 305 cm)||9”/12” (22.9cm/30.5cm)|
|Round Table (48” Diameter) (121.92 cm)||64” (162.56cm)||8” (20.3 cm)|
What Is a Card Table Used For?
A card table is often used for playing various games, including card, poker, puzzle, board, and other tabletop games. These tables are also foldable hence can be carried out for picnics and auxiliary seating. Smaller tables fold neatly for easy storage.
Other uses of card tables include:
- Kids arts and crafts projects
- Outdoor BBQ or birthday parties
- Holding sewing machines and other heavy stuff
How To DIY a Card Table at Home
To create your own card table at home, you must first plan and prepare. Preparations include knowing the exact size of the card table you need (depending on your room’s size) and getting all the materials and tools.
Here’s a complete list of everything you’ll need:
- A set of folding legs
- Carpenter’s glue
- 1″ (2.54 cm) drywall screws
- 1″ (2.54 cm) foam
- 1″ (2.54 cm) lag bolts
- Skill saw
- Staple gun
- Drill with Phillips head
- Utility knife
With all your supplies and tools in place, follow this step by step guide to DIY a card table:
- Cut out a piece of plywood according to your drawn size and shape.
- Cut out the top and bottom rail parts from another piece of plywood.
- After cutting the rail parts, center it and attach the tabletop with the carpenter’s glue and the 1″ (2.54 cm) drywall screws.
- Center and fix the folding legs to the card table’s bottom and make sure it stands upright.
- Attach the 1″ (2.54cm) foam with glue and ensure the tabletop felt is firmly secure.
- Center the speed felt with a staple gun.
- Upholster the padded rail using vinyl.
- Join the padded vinyl and playing surface
This YouTube video is an excellent watch for DIY card table enthusiasts:
Note that the average cost of building your card table to seat about 4 or 6 people is $410 when complete. Thus, buying a card table may be cheaper. However, prices differ depending on size and shape.
Typically, a standard square card table for 4 to 6 people might cost about $70 on average.
How To Refurbish a Card Table
To refurbish a card table:
- Disassembling it. Make sure you place all the parts and screws safely to avoid losing them.
- Spray paint the table stands to your preferred color. If the top surface is wood, sand it first, refinish it, then paint.
- Reconstruct your table and store it in a safe place like your garage.
Sometimes, you don’t have to wait until it looks old and worn out to refurbish it. Make sure to refurbish regularly to enhance the durability of your table.
There you have it!
An exhaustive guide on various card table sizes. A card table is a must-have for any den or gathering space where you want to make memories with your friends and family.
Nevertheless, it’s essential to browse around. Choose a card table that’s adaptable and versatile, and have fun while at it.
For more, check out Typical Poker Table Dimensions By Shape.